Transport Accident Commission
transport accident commission TAC charge

Transport Accident Commission or TAC for short, is a “no-fault” insurance scheme owned by the Victorian Government. In practice this means if you were injured in a transport accident in Victoria, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation to cover the cost of treatment and support, even if the accident was your fault.

What is the Transport Accident Commission charge and how does it work?

The scheme is funded wholly by Victorians annually when they register their vehicle. A component of the registration fee is the Transport Accident Commission charge which directly covers the costs of injuries sustained in Victorian transport accidents. Having the Transport Accident Commission charge incorporated into all Victorian vehicle registrations ensures the continuance of the “no-fault” scheme for all those injured in road traffic accidents.

Gather the relevant information for the transport accident commission to assess

If you have been injured in a transport accident in Victoria, the first step prior to submitting a claim is to ensure you have the following information:

  • Details of the:
    • Accident: where it occurred, the circumstances and injuries
    • Vehicles: registration numbers and occupants
    • Witnesses
    • Police attendance or date reported to the police
  • For public transport accidents, details of the:
    • Public transport operator, who the accident was reported to and the name of the public transport driver
    • Accident details including vehicle number, location, route of travel, date and time of travel
  • The name of the health professional you have seen for the injuries you sustained in your accident
  • Employment/income details if you have had more than five days off work due to the accident
  • Your bank details

3 easy steps to lodging a claim

  1. Lodge your form online
  2. Call the TAC on 1300 654 329 Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm
  3. If hospitalised after your accident, some hospitals can lodge a claim on your behalf. Please discuss this with a hospital Patient Liaison Officer.

Once your claim is accepted

You will receive a Welcome Pack from the TAC outlining your claim summary, TAC claim number and information on what to do next.

What to do next?

Make an appointment with your GP or if you’re in hospital – your clinical care team about what treatment options you will need going forward.

The TAC has made managing your claim easy with the introduction of the myTAC app. To download go to the App Store or Google Play. Through the app you can update personal and banking details, complete self-assessment (if required), find service providers, send and receive messages and documents about your claim, submit receipts and claim reimbursements and find out what services the TAC may pay for.

In the first 90 days following your accident, you do not need prior approval by the TAC if:

  • You have a TAC claim number,
  • Your treating healthcare professional has recommended the treatment, and
  • The treatment is for injuries sustained in your accident.

How to access treatment

Your doctor or health professional will recommend an approved treatment or service, at which point you will:

  1. Firstly, choose your preferred provider – the TAC does not involve itself in recommending one provider over another. This gives you opportunity to use your existing healthcare network or have control over who you want involved in your recovery
  2. Secondly, call to make an appointment – inform reception you are a TAC client and have a claim number
  3. Thirdly, attend your appointment and give the provider your TAC claim number
  4. At its conclusion, we will pay your provider for your appointment at the TAC rate. Alternatively, we will reimburse you if you have paid in full.

In the first 90 days following your accident, Colbrow Care can provide the following services including community nursing, allied health therapies, transport to and from appointments, medication management, post-operative medical and nursing care, and organising equipment for hire or purchase.

What happens after the first 90 days and for long term injuries?

For injuries that require treatment to continue beyond the first 90 days and even longer, your support team at the TAC will contact your service providers for information about your current condition and the possible ongoing treatment needs. It is common for providers to submit treatment plans outlining goals of treatment and progress reports. Your recovery is the TAC’s priority. The TAC conducts regular checks to ensure your recovery stays on track.

What does the transport accident commission cover?

What the TAC can pay for What the TAC cannot pay for
Medical treatment, rehabilitation services, disability services, income support, travel support and household support Treatment or services unrelated to your transport accident injuries
Treatment and services recommended by a health professional Treatment by a person who is not registered, qualified or authorised to provide the service
Treatment and services you need because of your transport accident injuries An account for a treatment or service submitted outside the TAC’s time limit for payment
Treatment and services provided in Australia Treatment or services provided outside Australia
Treatment and services which are safe and effective Treatment or services that are not safe, effective or necessary
Replacement or repair of damaged glasses or dentures Repair to your car, motorbike, scooter, bicycle or other type of transport
  Repair to non-medical personal items (motorcycle gear, clothes, mobile phones etc.)
  Travel costs not related to your TAC claim. See our travel policy for details

* Information from TAC current as of 25 July 2022.
Cancellation or non-attendance fees for appointments you make


Colbrow Care can help you with transport, support at home, attendant care, (dis)ability support services, vehicle and home modifications, allied health services, and community access to progress your rehabilitation toward recovery.

Give our friendly team a call today on 1300 33 11 03 to find out how we can help!

transport accident commission TAC charge