Government funding for In-Home Care – What is available?

What types of government funding is available for in-home care services

The type of government funding available for in-home care for the elderly is dependent on what sort of care is required.
This can either be:

  • basic or short-term support through the Commonwealth Home Support Program or
  • long-term support with a Home Care Package

The Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)

This is a government program that supports older people who are managing well by themselves at home but would like some extra help to maintain their independence. Before you can get CHSP services, you will need an assessment. The Regional Assessment Service (RAS) will visit your home to assess your eligibility. If you are deemed eligible, an approved service provider will supply specific services as required from funds that they have received directly from the government.

Your service provider will discuss any fees and charges that you may incur before you receive the relevant services.

Home Care Packages

Home Care Packages provide long-term support for older people who want to stay living at home. Before you can get a Home Care Package, the RAS will visit you to assess your eligibility and the level of care you require.
There are four levels of Home Care Package for different care and support needs:

  • Level 1 for basic care needs
  • Level 2 for low-level care needs
  • Level 3 for intermediate care needs
  • Level 4 for high-level care needs

The level of government contribution at each package level is:

*Level of Package Annually Fortnightly
Level one $8,044.60 $308.56
Level two $14,632.85 $561.25
Level three $32,171.10 $1,233.95
Level four $48,906.35 $1,875.85

*Source: My Aged Care

Home Care Package Subsidies and Supplements

If you or someone you know needs a higher level of care or have special needs beyond the level of the home care package, then you may be eligible for further subsidies and supplements.
These can apply to people who:

  • care for someone with dementia
  • are veterans with mental health problems
  • need oxygen
  • have special feeding needs
  • live in remote areas or
  • suffer significant financial hardship

For further detail about the level of supplemental funding available visit Home Care Package Costs and Fees.

How the funds are paid

In all cases the Commonwealth Government will pay funds directly to your service provider. They host your package and manage the finances on your behalf. Some of this money may go towards your provider’s administrative and case management charges leaving the remaining money to be spent on services that support your independence, health and quality of life.

Your service provider is accountable to you and the government on how the package money is spent.

New rules on changing Service Providers

From 27 February 2017, people with Home Care Packages will be able to change service providers and take their package funding with them to their new provider. Before you make a decision, you should be aware that service providers can charge exit fees so you may want to check your Home Care Agreement for any special fees or conditions.

If you want to know more about changing providers or are unsure of what level of government funding you may be entitled to, contact Colbrow Care and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.

Colbrow Care is a leading provider of in-home healthcare services.
Call us on 1300 33 11 03 or email: